The Role of the Board Chair
This webinar series is offered in partnership with Washington Nonprofits.
Enter the promo code to receive member pricing
(Don't have the promo code? Email Rosey at email@example.com)
Four 60-minute webinars, Thursdays, January 30, February 6, 13, & 20, 2020
$80 NAM Members
Whether you’re just stepping into this leadership role or are a seasoned board leader, this training will help you be more effective in your role. You’ll learn how to bring your best leaderful self to the board chair role, artfully facilitate meetings that net results, and improve the leadership work of the board as a whole.
Leading a group of governance volunteers can be challenging as well as rewarding. Serving as the chair of the board is not a role for the uninspired and undecided. In this course, participants will learn about the chair's responsibility in strengthening and improving the leadership work of the board as a whole.
This course is a great primer for new board chairs and an excellent refresher for more seasoned board members! Whether you're a current chair, chair-elect, or head up a committee, this workshop covers leadership skills every board member needs. Topics include: leadership characteristics of effective board leaders, key relationships in and out of the board room, your leadership legacy, facilitating meetings that matter, and ways to engage individual board members.
At the end, you'll have tips and tools to help you start your term with confidence and enthusiasm!
You will leave with:
- A better understanding of the board chair's responsibility in strengthening the work of the board as a whole.
- Strategies that can help you lead more effectively as a board chair.
- Ways to more effectively structure board meetings and engage individual board members at meetings.
Part 1: What Kind of a Leader are You?
Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 12:00pm - 1:00pm PST
• The Changing Landscape of Nonprofit Leadership – What’s Important Now
• Characteristics of Great Board Leaders –How do You Measure Up?
• Your North Star – What Will Your Legacy Be?
Part 2: What’s Your Job as Board Chair?
Thursday, February 6, 2020 - 12:00pm - 1:00pm PST
• Common Mistakes and Frustrations
• The Do’s and Don’t’s of Effective Chairmanship
• How to Make the Most of Key Relationships, including the Board Chair – ED partnership
Part 3: Meetings that Matter
Thursday, February 13, 2020 - 12:00pm - 1:00pm PST
• The Bone structure: A Masterful Agenda, Meeting Mechanics, Strategic Information, Ways to Evaluate Meetings
• Shaping Powerful Questions that generate great discussion
Part 4: Presiding vs Facilitating
Thursday, February 20, 2020 - 12:00pm - 1:00pm PST
• How to Develop Facilitative Leadership
• Communication Tips for Effective Listeners
• The people side of things – managing meeting dynamics and conflict
All sessions will be recorded and the recording will be available to all registered participants. Participants who are unable to attend one or more of the sessions will still have access to all course materials.
We are committed to making our online courses as accessible as possible to all learners. Please contact us with any concerns or requests.
ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
Amanda Madorno is a leadership coach, consultant and planning facilitator who helps nonprofit leaders and their teams drive personal and organizational change. After many years in the nonprofit sector as a fundraiser and executive, Amanda began consulting in 1994 and incorporated Roam Consulting LLC in 2001. Her firm focuses on helping leaders build the skills they need to lead with excellence, successfully navigate change, and create productive teams. She believes emotional intelligence is the cornerstone of leadership excellence and is certified EQ practitioner.
A seasoned nonprofit interim executive, with more than 17 interim assignments under her belt, she brings real-life leadership experience to her coaching and consulting practice. Her clients include community health clinics, Native American tribes, associations, museums, independent schools, social service agencies and Fortune 500 companies. Credentialed in Equine Experiential Learning, Amanda blends her horse sense with her understanding of leadership. Leadership with Horses is an innovative leadership development experience that draws leaders and teams from around the globe. They join Amanda and her herd of horses in the arena to work together and make breakthroughs in their leadership skills and competencies.