Omaha Community Foundation is taking nominations for the Nonprofit Capacity Building Program
Wednesday, July 22, 2015
Posted by: Kelly Koepsell
Deadline August 7th!
The Omaha Community Foundation is currently taking nominations for the Nonprofit Capacity Building Program.
Strengthening nonprofits ultimately strengthens the whole community. Simply put, a good nonprofit organization has a strong board that hires capable staff that runs quality programs. The board and staff ensure that the organization continually invest in its capacity. A community will be more prosperous when its nonprofit sector is made up of these kinds of groups.
To help nonprofits operate like this, the Omaha Community Foundation created a Nonprofit Capacity Building program. This 15-month curriculum is designed to strengthen organizational and leadership capacity needs. Ten nonprofits in the greater Omaha area are chosen each year to participate in the class.
- Assessment of each organization’s capacity using the Nonprofit Association of the Midlands‘ Guidelines and Principles
- Monthly peer learning sessions to discuss best practices and challenges
- Executive coaching for executive directors
- Quarterly sessions focused on board of directors
- $5,000 grant for nonprofits meeting the requirements of participation
- Strategic Planning – if a participating organization does not already have an adequate strategic plan in place, it will be required to use a portion of its $5,000 grant to go through a strategic planning process with board and staff by the end of the participating year.
Qualified nonprofit organizations will have 501(c)(3) status; an annual budget of at least $250,000; and a history of sound financial position. Staff size and age of organization may be considered as indicators of organizational capacity to participate fully in the program.
Organizations can be nominated by an OCF staff member, board member, donor, or community member in order to be considered. Those organizations receiving nominations will be invited to fill out an application. Nominations are currently being received until August 7th.